About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States

Friday, January 14, 2011

Breakfast time!

I'm one of those people that HAS to have breakfast to be able to start my day. To kickstart my energy for the day. The problem lies in that I tend to make it quick and easy. So, there have been MANY a day of sugary cereals, danish or other assorted carbfests. I've been trying to find some healthier options, I did a little research and tried my first one today.

Oatmeal with blueberries and sliced almonds. I grew up eating oatmeal almost every meal before school, so I thought this would be a good place to start. This particular site suggested a little cinnamon and a LITTLE honey. I've read about agave nectar as a good sugar alternative and bought some. I used it with the oatmeal, blueberries and almonds. It was actually quite tasty.

It's not been an easy transition to my diet. I'm on the run a lot, and I don't enjoy cooking like I used to. I eat out a lot. I like to eat what tastes good.......lol. So, I eat lots of fats and sugars. My biggest thing will be cutting down on sweet tea. I'm a good, old fashioned southern boy........sweet tea is a big issue. I've transferred over to Coke Zero already, so no biggie there. I know people who have lost a lot of weight just from that one switch. Still......I will actually MISS my tea!

I was looking into some natural or herbal remedies for my ADHD and came across Native Remedies. They have a couple that you work in conjunction with each other. Focus Formula and Bright Spark. I thought I remembered seeing the focus formula at 7's for her son. I sent her a message on facebook to ask if I remembered correctly, and if so, how did she feel it worked. Turns out I haven't lost ALL of my remembery skills. Also, she felt it worked pretty well for him..

It's not cheap, but it seems to be about half the cost of traditional ADHD meds. I'm going to take a shot and order a month's supply. We'll see how it works and decide if that's a better option for me. Wish me luck!

Now the ipod is turned on and queued up to my Butch Walker playlist. I'm ready for my walk. Then back to have some lunch. So here's your song for today. Butch covering a classic Beatles tune in his own way. It's something I firmly believe in........All you need is LOVE.

2 comments:

  1. HEY MARVIN! I love AGAVE NECTAR on my oatmeal! Love it with some walnuts, toasted pecans, etc! YUM! I even like it with natural peanut butter! I purchased a book, sometime back called "The Eat Clean Diet". It's a great book that teaches you how to eat natural foods! I suggest you check the book out, because you can learn a lot about substituting sugars and processed foods for natural ones, etc! I'm so excited for you! DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! Hey, another thing to check out are websites like; www.bodybuilding.com... they can teach you how to do things from home, and you can also define a personalized fitness plan you can do from HOME! Sounds like you're off to a GREAT start though! Tip for cutting back on sweet tea: If you're making it at home, and just have to have one cup a day... start cutting back on how much sugar you use, a little at a time, until you can drink it unsweetened! ha! I know, that's a hard pill to swallow!

    Another book: "Eat This, Not That!"

    I have no input on herbal remedies. All I can say is becareful when trying herbs. Always talk to the pharamcists if your taking other meds. You never know what type of reactions can occur when mixing meds. Just food for thought!

    Be safe!
    SAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... my diet is based on the "clean eating" principle and it works well for me. I would suggest, though, that you maybe switch to half and half tea (half sweet, half unsweet) until you're able to wean yourself down. Coke zero is the devil. You don't need all that caffeine. You might also try... since you're always in a hurry and on the go... having one food prep day a week (like I do) so that it's heat and eat the rest of the week. I'll be glad to help you put together a menu and show you how. this is my specialty! Cinnamon is great for your blood pressure and local honey is great to combat allergies (might be good for Nick, too). I'll show you some things next week that will help. Seriously. This is my passion!
    *hugs*
    heather

    ReplyDelete